Monday, July 25, 2011

Back From Beach

I just got back from a week-long family vacation at Edisto Beach, SC.  If you haven't been to Edisto, it's a great beach.  The week was restful and enjoyable.  Mostly it was fun to hang out with my family and spend long days in the hot summer sun.  We had great weather all week--we didn't have much rain (if any), and it was consistently around 95º.  I played a lot of hearts (our family game) and watched a lot of movies.  We even got to go into Charleston for an evening (I saw HP7P2--i.e. Harry Potter 7 Pt. 2--on an IMAX).  The vacation was just what you'd want from a week long trip to the beach--seafood, sun, and whole lot of doing nothing.


Today was a special day at the medical school as the new medical students had their first day of orientation.  I was busy in the lab, so I didn't get to sit in on any of the events, but I did manage to see some of the new students (including my brother).  I don't know that many of them, but the students that I do know are really cool people.  I'm always impressed with Quillen's ability to attract such high quality students/faculty/staff.  And of course, the family atmosphere of the place is hard to beat.  I have to admit, as I watched the new students meeting and greeting, I was envious.  All I could think about was how I wished I could be where they are.  Hopefully, I will be soon enough.


We ran a couple of trauma and surgery scenarios today.  The surgery rotations are always interesting and complicated cases, so I enjoy being there for surgery days.


Funniest moment of the day:
A professor was walking us (third year med students and the interns) through airway.  We were talking about intubating and when it is appropriate/necessary to perform a cricothyrotomy.  The professor performed a cricothyrotomy on the sim-dummy and set up the tube in the trachea.  He asked, "Alright, what do we do next?"  He was fishing for the answer, "We bag him."  But instead one of the third years quickly responded without thinking, "We bag him and tag him."  




There are some pretty exciting things coming up in the lab.  I just found out that I'm going to be making my acting debut tomorrow.  We are filming a demonstration video for ATLS purposes.  Apparently, it is an important video as all of the interns are going to dress in full surgical gowns.  Look out Hollywood, here I come!


Also, my boss is setting up a time for all of the interns to listen to a retired physician come and speak to us about cardiology.  And we might have a doctor come and show us how to read and decipher X-rays as well.  I'm looking forward to both talks.  In particular, I have found X-rays to somewhat mystifying.  When we run scenarios, some physician will look at an X-ray and immediately recognize that something is wrong with the patient.  To me, the X-rays look pretty much the same as all of the other ones. . . Unless its something exceptionally obvious.  So hopefully I can learn a lot from both talks!


There isn't too much else to report.  I finished my book, The Brothers K, and would highly recommend it to anyone.  I have been thinking about the book for over a week now, despite finishing it.  It definitely makes my top ten of favorite books, although to be fair, I haven't read as many books as I probably should have.


I am also preparing myself to go back to Durham in less than two weeks!  I've been told that I will be working on the BMT ward at the hospital, so I am very excited about that.  I am so fortunate to have some of the opportunities that I do and I'm surrounded by wonderful people.


Much tanner than last week,


Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment